Sunday 22 January 2017

240. Chilasa paradoxa telearchus (The Great Mime)

Number: 240
Family: Papilioniidae
Sub-Family: Papilioniinae
Species:  Chilasa paradoxa telearchus (Hewitson, 1852)
Common name(s): The Great Mime 
Photography locations: Tam Dao foothills (Vinh Phuc Prov.), Cuc Phuong N.P. (Ninh Binh Prov.)

During a trip at Tam Dao foothills I bumped into an Euploea butterfly that, well, didn't sit right. Sadly, I had forgotten my net and was unable to capture it for closer examination but I managed to get a record shot. When I returned home I did a little digging and it turns out to be Chilasa paradoxa. Until now it has eluded me. 

Monastyrskii & Devyatkin (2016) listed 6 Chilasa species in Vietnam viz. agestor, epycides, slateri, clytia, paradoxa and imitata - the last one described in 2003 from central Vietnam.
Chilasa paradoxa telearchus is an excellent mimic of the Danaid Euploea mulciber.

Chilasa paradoxa telearchus on a rock by a stream at Tây Thiên (Tam Dao foothills, August 29, 2016)
Note the UpF with end cell spot, the regular rows of elongate postdiscal bluish spots and submarginal spots

Note also the curved, robust clubbed antennae - very different from that of an Euploea species

Another specimen, from Cuc Phuong, May 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment